Friday, January 1, 2010

Reflecting on Years Past

Back in the late 1960's, after we watched our teen years--and innocence--pretty much fade away into oblivion, there were a number of us who watched our friends re-locate to Canada to avoid the draft. At the time, Canada was a haven for 'peaceniks' and other objectors of American policies. Over forty years later, I sit here wondering about one of the joking ways we used to part company, in those circumstances. We'd say, "I hope to be confined to the same concentration camp as you." It was a darkly-humored way to live with what we saw happening, even way back then.

So, then, where the hell are we now? The world is quickly becoming a global fascist state, and there is nowhere to run. I remember reading something, by one of my favorite writers, which said that to try to escape to somewhere like Canada is on the order of climbing the mast of a sinking ship; it only buys you a little time before you drown with the rest. I believe that it was written back in about 2004. The article in question was trying to call for Americans to wake up and do something.

Sadly, I think too many people in the USA are just sheep. I think most are happy to have their little piece of space and a little money to buy the distractions that keep them from thinking about these things. The latest gadgets, which they pay dearly for, occupy them enough for the Power Elite in this world to gain greater and greater control over it all. Those who do take some of these issues seriously enough to make noise about them, might soon find themselves in one of the "concentration camps", although I'm sure they won't be called that.

I wonder daily if I should just up my meds to the breaking point, and just get as numb as I can, so as not to have to witness this reality and give it any concern. There is no movement to join; no party to align myself with; no major effort to remove the cancer and change the direction this world is taking. A major bloodbath, involving a hugely insubordinate military fighting alongside the citizenry, is about all I can imagine in the way of hope. But is that Hope? I don't think so. It's just more of the same, with an ugly ending. Didn't Castro try something like this, back when, on a country-wide local scale? There's a lesson there.

Is this the way a person thinks before they finally just commit suicide? Does it all seem like such a rational decision? Maybe so.

For now, I like the "meds" option.

Bzzzzzzzzz,
Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment